It’s All About the Windows

May 7, 2009 § 14 Comments

Whether we’re all craving light or fresh air, who knows, but the focus these days is on windows. And we’re not talking about the old standard white replacement models anymore, that’s fzstorm2or sure. Now we have choices from black to almond to green and even red. And whatever the shape of your space, we have a window to fit into it. Awhile back the trend was to update the interior lighting plan with recessed cans and spotlights, uplights, downspots, and all the specialized lamps you could imagine for your space. Now we’ve moved on to creating unique window plans to suit the house: clerestory, stained glass, enormous picture windows, and different styles of window mullions to fit the style of your house, from Colonial to Victorian to Mission. Even new homes can be made to look old — well sort of.

Word of caution: If you have an historic home or a home with a very definite style, you should try to repair the original windows before resorting to a replacement. There’s very good information at the following link to help you with windows in historic homes. Or any window decisions, for that matter.

If you have old wooden windows, paint the window sash and mullions a coordinating color (black looks spectacular) to add life to your home.  Those of us stuck with white vinyl are jealous…

Tagged: , , , ,

§ 14 Responses to It’s All About the Windows

• Jennifer says:

Hi Barbara!

I wrote last month asking about how to unify the family room/kitchen (Sandstone Cliff and Brown Teepee) – thanks again for your advice – all terrific – I’m working on it!

So interesting that you are writing about windows – here’s my latest question. I have a 60×60 window in that kitchen/breakfast nook area – ordered a Frost colored pleated shade for it (tryingg to lighten it up in there) but now wondering about something over it to pull in the Sandstone or even more of the Brown Teepee that’s on the walls in that area.

What does one do with a large (for the space) window with a pleated shade? Wouldn’t that look too bare? And what size curtain rod would work? I bought one that fits 48×94 but I’m still confused.

Thanks again – lifelong apartment dweller who never had to really decorate!

Jennifer

• bmeglis says:

Hi Jennifer,

Sure, you can put a couple of panels on either side of the large window to soften the edges and add some color (pull in your paint colors and some accent colors too). Your current 48 to 94″ curtain rod should fit perfectly. Just extend it and be sure to put a support bracket in the middle to keep it from sagging.

Let me know how it goes!

-Barbara
      Your Home & Color Coach

• kristy mason says:

I live in a white farmhouse with hunter green trim, the trim is around the windows and on the bottom part of my porch, do you think a khaki color door for the front would look good? i want to do something different instead of white-

• bmeglis says:

Hi Kristy,

Khaki is okay, but it may not show up very well since the dark hunter will dominate. Have you considered an equally dominant color for the door? Something like rich lilac or grape?? With lilacs and irises in your front yard, that would be a knock-out!

See what you think.

-Barbara
      Your Home & Color Coach

• Jennifer says:

Hi Barbara!

Thanks again – thinking of this JC Penney Harbor Stripe panel – either in the Cinnabar or Leaf – Leaf works better I think with the two colors, but may be a tad too drab? I have a Pier1 runner running from kitchen to foyer which would work with the Cinnabar.

And is the aqua/chocolate brown too much for a small powder room? Behr suggesting the Rhythmic Blue as a complement to the Sandstone – powder room just off the Sandstone room.

Thanks again!

• maithily says:

Hi Barbara,
    hope u can help me. I have a yellow brick bungalow with a peak roof(siding on the top triangle part). It currently has white windows (a large one in the front with two skinny black shutters & a black door).
    We have ordered white casement windows and have to order eavestroughs and soffits. I wanted to go with a taupe that is close to the brick for the windows and soffits/eavestroughs and the siding on the peak roof. But white vinyl windows apparently have a lifetime warranty as opposed to the 15 yrs on the coloured ones.
    The siding on the top is currently white and in good condition.
    Will it look weird if i kept the windows white & ordered a taupe eavestroughs/soffits and painted the siding the same colour as well? I was trying to unify the look I also have 5 basement windows that don’t need to be changed that are white (these can be painted as they are aluminum)
    Please help!

• bmeglis says:

Hi maithily,

Sure, you can keep white for your windows. They’re fine. Not as historic as bronze for a yellow brick bungalow but we do have to be practical. It’s better to keep all the same color unless you switch out everything all at once. A big expense. And yes, painting the gable a taupe color will really update the house as will making the the eavestroughts and soffits taupe. They’re meant to blend.

Sounds like you’re on the right track.

-Barbara
      Your Home & Color Coach

• Linda says:

I just bought a small farm house; it has dark black shingles. I am trying to decide what color for the siding and trim including porch rail. I like the colors of nature but not sure how to blend it with the black roof. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Glenn N says:

Hello, My wife is having a hard time tying to figure out what color to have our home done. Can I email you pictures and you can suggest a color pallette?? The house has siding and cedar. I will graciously pay you for your service.

Thx, Glenn

• bmeglis says:

Hi Glenn,

I am happy to look at photos of your house and help you and your wife decide what palette to use. Send them to my other email address: bmeglis@yahoo.com

(Payments are graciously accepted, of course. Thank you.)

-Barbara
      Your Home & Color Coach

• lpod says:

Hi Barbara,

I’m enjoying reading through your blog, thank you for offering the service! My husband and I are currently working through some updates to our 1961 Romanesque Brick Rambler. The exterior back and sides of the home are a 2″ cedar siding painted a deep blue, similar to the blue you see on our front door (the neighbor calls it battleship gray).

We are looking to have replacement windows installed and are down to deciding on the color. We’ve chosen the Milgard fiberglass exterior, douglas fir interior (which will be stained a natural color inside). The color options range from white to a matte black. Options are listed here: http://www.milgard.com/windows/fiberglass-windows/woodclad/picture-window.asp

We’re currently leaning toward the “Silver Pearl” color to maintain the original design of the home and give the look of the aluminum windows (unfortunately, the silver pearl does not show on the website).

Do you have a recommendation on the color that would look best?

Please also note, we’ll be replacing the roof in at least the next 18 months, so you can take a new roof (and offer a shingle color recommendation if you feel inclined) into consideration when recommending a color for windows.

I tried to find two good pictures of the house. The first provides an overview of the whole house, the second gives a closer look at the color. I can always take more if needed!

Kim

• bmeglis says:

Hi Kim,

I like the idea of silver pearl to lighten up the home. I think a more traditional charcoal roof would look better than the current brown. You might also add some nickel accessories (house numbers, etc) to modernize the look a bit.

Sounds like a good plan.

-Barbara
    Your Home & Color Coach

• Brad says:

Hi Barbara!

Question, re: Window replacement color. My home was built in the 50’s & is chocolate brick (A couple burgandy but mostly brown). My issue is the gutters & all the trim (including aluminum windows) are the same Musket Brown.

My foundation, garage door & shutters are all Sandstone (light tan).

I cannot put white vinyl windows on my house, I know that much but I am looking into Sandstone. Do you think there are any other logical choices?? Thanks!!

• bmeglis says:

Hi Brad,

Replacing all that brown trim (starting with the windows) with sandstone will greatly improve the look of your house. Right now, I’m envisioning, it’s just too dark with no contrast other than what is already sandstone.

Keep the downspouts brown against the brown brick, but I would not hesitate to paint the trim and gutters lighter as well. They don’t have to match the sandstone but could be a shade between the brick and sandstone. Either way, start with the sandstone windows.

You might want to consider painting your front door either a warm burgundy or a deep teal. Again, contrast will help.

-Barbara